Re: [fluid-dev] How to change settings (Reverb, Chorus, Gain, Bank) whil

From: Element Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] How to change settings (Reverb, Chorus, Gain, Bank) while Fluidsynth is running as a server (no shell)?
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:25:57 -0600

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello, thanks a lot for your support!
>
>>The first thing that comes to mind, without having to do any programming,
>>is
> to use the built in FluidSynth TCP/IP server (a command line switch
>>enables this).
>
> My board has no network, but I
> could use the internal localhost: fluidsynth tcp server would listen on
> 127.0.0.1 and my script, running locally, could
> use netcat to talk to the appropriate port. A dummy network, that is.
> But, I did not find any documentation about
> fluidsynth tcp server: nothing in the man page, nothing in the html document.
> :(
> So I don't know about commands,
> message formats, settings, etc. :(

If you run FluidSynth with the -s switch it will start up the TCP/IP
server on port 9800 by default (the shell.port setting controls this).
 When making connections to this port (using telnet, netcat, a TCP/IP
socket, etc) it has the same format as the standard FluidSynth console
shell.

> I was hoping that, for example (libfluidsynth doc):
>
>   fluid_settings_setstr
> (settings, "some_parameter", "some_value");
>
> could apply to an existing (running) synth, without having to do
>
>  synth =
> new_fluid_synth(settings);
>
> But it seems that there's nothing like a synth = open_running_fluid_synth()
> :-(
>
>>Nice to
> hear about your results with the ARM platform you are using.  I've
>>been wanting to create a stand alone FluidSynth
> device for a while myself.
>>It's great that embedded systems have reached a high enough level, power
>>wise, to work as
> well as you are reporting and with floating point units to
>>make this possible.
>
> Yes, these new dev boards are really
> powerful.
> The one I'm using has a Allwinner A20 (dual-CortexA7 @ 900MHz) and 1GB of
> DDR3 RAM.
>
> I found it's useful to
> recompile everything with GCC 4.7.2, because it supports specific ARM Cortex
> optimizations and auto-vectorialization
> using the NEON SIMD unit; you can gain a nice speed boost.
> My CFLAGS are
> '-march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a7 -ffast-math -
> mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -Ofast'

Thanks for the info!  Makes me want to get my hands on one of those ;-)

> Fernando

Best regards,

Element Green