Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI commands for reverb/chorus parameters

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI commands for reverb/chorus parameters
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 13:46:28 +0200 (CEST)

Greetings Peter,Element,List

> Yes. You might run into other people using the same NRPN for their
> own nefarious purposes, though, so it would be good to have some
> way of ignoring a message that was not one of yours...

It seems that using MIDI CC NRPN to change real time parameters (in performance situation)

is more suitable than Sysex that consumes more MIDI bus bandwidth.

As MIDI CC is channel oriented, it easy to have different synths on differents

channels in a manner that a MIDI CC send to one synth(or channel) is ignored by others synths(or channels).

This is possible when synths supports "Basics channels". The recent patch poly-mono offers this

possibility. Anyway we still need a way ("sysex" or other to set ""Basics channels" inside the synths).

> > Thinking about this more, I like the idea of having a Sysex
> > interface to the FluidSynth command shell, which would open up
> > a whole world of possibilities.

Yes. Using the same bus to communicate with the synth (for real time events et configuration data)

simplfies greatly system architecture.

Regards, jjc