Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI commands for reverb/chorus parameters

From: Ben Gonzales
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI commands for reverb/chorus parameters
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 14:11:59 +1000

On 09/07/16 11:15, Element Green wrote:

Thinking about this more, I like the idea of having a Sysex interface to the FluidSynth command shell, which would open up a whole world of possibilities. Seems like the MIDI standard doesn't really have a "unregistered" manufacturer ID though for Sysex which makes things awkward and I don't think it is worth trying to buy our own ID for $200/yr.

Ah. That answered one of my previous (unanswered) questions about how you direct Sysex to FluidSynth. You don't. Now I see why.

The reason I asked the original question about chorus and reverb was because I'm tinkering with a "general" interface for EWI-USB wind controllers to be able to talk to Fluidsynth and other external synths. The Akai EWI-USB needs a computer between the instrument and the synth because a) it has a USB interface and b) because you need a computer to configure the EWI. It's not like the other (+$$$) Akai EWIs that have midi ports and can be configured using buttons on the instrument itself.

My current version talks to FluidSynth via telnet commands for things like reverb and chorus, but it can't do that for external synths. So trying to make a "generalised MIDI-driven config interface" which works for all synths may not be a possibility.

Ben