freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Akaash is not working with RH 7.3

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Akaash is not working with RH 7.3
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:37:49 -0600

You still didn't say WHAT you are trying to see. Akaash is a unicode font,
which means that the bengali content has to be in unicode (typically in UTF-8
encoding). This is very different from the conventional (and non-standard)
method of bengali editing which replaces the usual english characters by
bengali glyphs. Most browsers can recognize utf-8 (or if not, you can
explicitly set the encoding to utf-8), but this is not necessarily true for
other applications.

It's also possible that the font didn't get installed properly. You can check
that by visiting the site I mentioned earlier, where you should at least see
some bengali characters in mozilla (not konqueror) if Akaash is properly
installed.

If you are trying to write something in Bengali, none of the softwares you
have mentioned can do this (as far as I know). gedit should show you bengali
if you are already viewing a utf-8 encoded files (at least in Red Hat 8.0,
I'm not sure about other distributions). To write bengali, the best options
on GNU/Linux are Yudit (www.yudit.org), which needs some configuration to
have it use Akaash (ask us if you have any problems), and Lekho
(lekho.sf.net) (which I haven't used yet, so don't know how easy/difficult it
is to set up).