freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Need ur help

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Need ur help
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:45:04 -0600

On Monday 16 December 2002 06:03 am, Rajendra Shastrakar(Raj) wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are making a Devanagari OTF font , i was just reading ur .sfd
> AkaashNormal file. If you permit i would like to ask few question.

By OTF, do you mean cubic spline outlines, or just TTF with open type layouts?
What are you using to add the GSUB/GPOS tables ?

> 1. I have created a otf file ( basically i have made all the glyphs in
> pfaedit and made table and stuff from ttx file ). then i convert from otf
> to ttf ( by opening in pfaedit and exporting ) but pfaedit hangs ( i
> presume there is a problem with my format)...u have any suggestion in this

You mean you are adding GSUB etc tables using ttx ? I tried using ttx once,
but I could not even regenerate a TTF font with open type tables from its TTX
file, let alone edit anything. But I might have been using older versions. In
any case, all opentype tables will be lost if you go through pfaedit.

> 2.What is the difference of having a kern pairs in <kern> tables and in
> <GPOS> tables , then i made it in kern table it works fine but not with
> GPOS... since GPOS gives more power should i go to GPOS ?

No idea.

> 3.PLEASE tell me a good test-bed (other then yudit) for OTF files where i
> can test my
> GPOS/GSUB rules ( btw yudit is not OTF testbed ...or isit? )

yudit can show open type layouts (both GSUB and GPOS in recent versions) in
TTF fonts, but probably not OTF (in the sense of having cubic spline
outlines). Windows should work, although I haven't checked (but VOLT can
handle only truetype outlines, AFAIK).

Deepayan