freebangfont-devel

[Freebangfont-devel] font template

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] font template
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:22:30 -0600

While we are on the topic of fonts, let me restart a thread from a few days
back -- regarding creating a sort of template font which could be used to
easily convert a non-unicode bengali font to opentype. There are 3 main
issues as far as I can tell:

1. Make a list of all possible glyphs
1. Edit the fonts as appropriate
2. Add opentype tables

For (1), I think Mukti can serve as a starting point, and we can leave some
space for new additions later.

For (2), we need to make a decision on how much we are going to rely on
Pfaedit. We could decide to always use pfaedit to edit fonts, in which case
we could keep the fonts as .sfd files. Alternately we could keep them as .ttf
(which could have some undesirable effects when editing with pfaedit).

For (3), the big problem is GPOS tables, which would not be the same for all
fonts. But I don't think that's a major problem, fonts without GPOS tables
shouldn't be too bad for most purposes, and adding those could be postponed.
Obviously, it would have been nice to have a Linux tool for adding the GSUB
tables. ttx/fonttools didn't work for me last time I tried, but it's possible
that it will sometime in the future. Even otherwise, using VOLT should work
for now.

So, does anyone see a big problem with this ? Or should we go ahead and try
something ?

Deepayan