freebangfont-devel

[Freebangfont-devel] Re: FW: Bengali

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: FW: Bengali
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:58:36 -0600

I'm replying to all for now, but maybe we should transfer this over to
freebangfont-devel.

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 02:14 pm, Ahmed, Taneem wrote:

> This reminds me, we should seriously start working on that *complete* OT
> Bangla font. if both KDE and GNOME supports OT fonts then some better fonts
> are very important.

I agree. (I am not entirely happy with the choice of editors we have, but for
now we have to do with Pfaedit.)

> Deepayan and Sayamindu, obviously we all expect you two to take the leading
> role in this... maybe we should come up with an initial list of glyphs
> based on the M$ doc about Bangla OTF, what do you guys think?

MS doc doesn't (as far as I know) list glyphs (nor should it). My
recommendations are:

(1) to use the list of conjuncts we have (was it from Kaushik?) as a starting
point, and keep a few blank glyphs for the future. Mukti already has all
these, so we can start from there. It's already a reasonably good-looking
font (and I don't think us amateurs can do any better by ourselves), and the
only current drawback is that it seems to have some bugs on Linux. But that
may well be bugs in Pango.

(2) Use VOLT for the initial GSUB tables, then extract that as a xml table
using ttx, and supply all these to interested developers. That way, both
Windows and Linux users should be happy.

Deepayan