freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Fonts that go into distros

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Fonts that go into distros
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:45:00 -0500

On Thursday 01 May 2003 03:51 am, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 23:25, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> > True. Also Likhan is much improved from the last release. Mukti, in my
> > experience, works well on Windows, but not on Linux. A (hopefully) not
> > very difficult option would be to use the Mukti/Akruti glyphs in the
> > template font and release that. I've never actually looked at Ani, but
> > the same should apply.
>
> No, we need not use the template.
> The only problem with Mukti/Ani is that they goof up with raphala/reph,
> and I know why. Once you remove the problem causing rule, it should be
> OK. I could have done it my self, but in my box, pfaedit is causing
> problems, so I am "disabled" for now ;-).

I see what you mean, the ordering of features in the GSUB table is wrong (I
faced the same problem when making the template font). I think the simplest
way would be to change the single .vtp file these fonts use and recompile
them with VOLT. I'll do that tomorrow perhaps (have to boot Windows, arrgh).

> > I have spent almost all my time for the last week on a different project,
> > but that's more or less done. I should now be able to do some stuff on
> > this front (namely, release the template font properly and release a
> > version of Likhan based on that).
>
> OK, and in addition to the missing conjuncts I sent earlier, also add
> "a-japhala" and "aa-japhala"

OK. Anyone know what the appropriate substitution rules are ? (I remember
hearing MS uses a rule different from the Unicode suggestion, or something
like that.)

Deepayan