freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Unibangla [and other] controversy

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Unibangla [and other] controversy
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 13:59:00 -0500

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 12:11 pm, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 May 2003 3:25 pm, you wrote:

> > Otherwise I guess while fixing basic size
> > of bangla fonts, some of the parameters are manually kept same as aakash.
> > Still its logical we include a humble remark on where the helps are
> > taken. Sayamindu, we are men in the same boat :).  I will tell to fix the
> > typo and make "GNU Licence" to "GNU Public licence". Is it okay? BTB Did

Not really, it's the

`GNU General Public License, version 2 (or later)'

It's customary to include the license as a text file as part of the
distribution (zip package), but failing that you should at least give a URL
for the license, which is

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

And if you have not done so already, I think you (or at least some of the
senior members of your group) should read the GPL carefully at least once. If
you are going to work in the open source world, you might as well know a bit
of its history. (I say this because the actual spirit of the GPL is slightly
different from what the general impression is, and some of the ideas in it
would be difficult to appreciate especially for people from places like India
and Bangladesh, where copyright and license enforcement is almost
non-existent.)

> > you noticed the positioning and substitution logic of the font? This is
> > pretty well designed as per Bakhtiar bhai's long experience in Bangla
> > font. Again you are welcome to take the ownership and suggest what steps
> > necessary for making it a complete Bangla OTF font.

We are actually already working on this in the FBF project, and you or any
other interested person is more than welcome to join us. You can read the
archives at

http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/freebangfont-devel/

and for a brief description of our attempts to create a complete font, see

http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/Bengali/FreeBangTemplate/readme.html

- Deepayan