freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Emacs support for Bengali display

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Emacs support for Bengali display
Date: 14 Mar 2004 10:58:12 +0000

Sayamindu Dasgupta <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 18:02 -0600, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
>
> this seems to be interesting
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=4036282&forum_id=5765

Thanks, but was it just this that you meant:

 Ugh.  I  know that  somebody is working  on GNU/emacs to  enable Indic
 languages on  it, and  he is  basing his work  (for malayalam)  on BDF
 files,  but  seems to  be  avoiding pango  and  /  or other  rendering
 engines.    Seems  he  is   using  emacs   lisp  for   reordering  and
 substitution.   TTF  files are  explicitly  converted  to  bdf at  the
 current stage. (which has not even made it to the CVS)

Just checking, in case the reference was wrong, and because this
doesn't seem to offer very much.

That said,

- reordering in emacs lisp sounds about what I'd expect, if Emacs's
  preferred encoding is different from ISO10646

- I'm surprised there's any issue to do with font source (TTF vs. BDF).
  I'd expect the X server to handle all this, then Emacs (or any other
  application) just sees the font as a generic X font.

Anyway, I'll see if I can see anything relevant in Emacs CVS.

Regards,
        Neil