[Freecats-Dev] RE: PugXML - A Few Important Remarks

From: Henri Chorand
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] RE: PugXML - A Few Important Remarks
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:27:35 +0100

Hi all,

Julien, thanks for posting.

Er, whatever the author, let's refrain from posting HTML-format messages.

> Here is the link to a webpage that might be of interest for the project :
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/pugxml.asp

> Subject of the web page: new XML parser
> It deals with the way this 'light' version of XML parses and
> segments the text strings in a document.
>
> A dowloadable version of PugXML is available online.

Looks truely interesting. I do like the "non-validating" aspect.

> Unfortunately, this paser has been designed for Windows
> (KERNEL32.DLL with WIN32). Maybe we could find something
> similar but less restrictive...

I had a quick look and this looks OK - <iostream> is standard C (to me), it
"should" compile with gcc. Anyway, if it does not have an interface, it
should be portable.

A more sensitive issue is the license. Julien, you might have a look at the
license or contact the author to check we are indeed allowed to use this
stuff within a GPL project.

Mikro$oft recently tried to lure developers into thinking they would share
source code while in fact, copyright could be retained, one way or another.
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sharedsource/

Henri