[Freecats-Dev] About (free) Unicode fonts

From: Henri Chorand
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] About (free) Unicode fonts
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:36:01 +0100

Hi all,

Slashdot (yes that's what I spend all my time to) has an interesting article
about Bitstream donating 10 fonts to the free software community.
http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/01/22/1932238.shtml?tid=
it should help a lot Linux users...
You can see a glimpse of it at: http://tieguy.org/fonts.png

It does not say whether any of these is going to be Unicode (and we DO need
(at least one) Unicode font, don't we? (So we must assume the answer is, in
fact, no.)

We would be very happy to have a fixed (non-proportional) and a couple of
(Serif & Sans Serif) Unicode fonts to use in our several planned clients.

In the many answers to this post, I saw that free Unicode fonts are
presently under development at:
http://www.stixfonts.org/

They promise to release them some time this year.

Unicode newbies like me will appreciate the chart which indicates how
various character families are stored, in:
http://www.stixfonts.org/charactertable.html

Meanwhile, if somebody knows which Unicode font we may use for internal
testing... the only one I can think of is Microsoft Arial Unicode.

It's licensed to use with MS Office 2000 (and above). I guess everybody
should know how to extract it from its [genuine MS, of course] Office CD.

Regards,
Henri Chorand