Re: [Freecats-Dev] Berkeley database & Tcl

From: David N. Welton
Subject: Re: [Freecats-Dev] Berkeley database & Tcl
Date: 24 Jan 2003 10:03:57 -0800

Henri Chorand <address@hidden> writes:

> Now I have a few stupid^X^X^X^X^X^Xnewbie questions for David W.

> If our server-side set of module includes a Berlekely DBMS, I guess
> we also need to have an Apache Tcl on this server in order to run
> Tcl commands at server level. Can you confirm?

Well, that's certainly one way of doing it:-)  You don't have to do a
web-based server, but in this day and age, it's certainly convenient.

In any case, you are not limited to just Apache Tcl.  You could also
use tclhttpd or AOLserver.

If I were you, I would try and tie things as little as possible to any
one server.

> So, among the various ongoing projects I see at:
> http://tcl.apache.org/ (mod_dtcl, neowebscript, mod_tcl, Apache
> rivet & Websh), can you suggest what we need and what a choice would
> mean?

> As I believe Apache 2 would be a good idea, the remaining option
> seem to be mod_tcl (Websh being used to develop Web apps).

The three under active development are Websh, Rivet and mod_tcl.  I
think any of them will work fine.  I think 1.3 is going to be with us
for a while yet, so I've still been concentrating my efforts there.
As soon as some pieces are in place, I will make a 2.0 version of
Rivet.

> Of course, and as usual, feel free to forward this request to
> another member of Apache Tcl project in case it's not a trivial
> thing and you feel we might need more help.

I really think your best bet is to concentrate on the server, and
provide some Tcl commands that can be loaded into any Tcl based web
server.  That way you aren't linked to anything, and most importantly,
the people who want to install this aren't tied to anything.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/