Re: [Freecats-Dev] WWW site on Savannah (or elsewhere)

From: Eric Cousin
Subject: Re: [Freecats-Dev] WWW site on Savannah (or elsewhere)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:23:45 +0100

At 19:31 23/01/2003 +0100, Henri Chorand wrote:
> Just to note down that Savannah does not provide MySQL or PHP on
> the WWW server. Thus, we cannot have Postnuke or something similar
> on there :(

Thanks for providing this info.

> The French (and the Spanish as well) Open-source team has a project
> on Savannah to provide shell access for their respective developers.
> Thus, the only way to add WWW pages on Savannah is to use CVS over
> SSH and go for W3 standards only.. :)

OK.

> Check out other projects' WWW pages to see what they can do without
> PHP/MySQL (it's amazing).

Well, any info about a compatible ("package" type) solution (as opposed to
"do it yourself with Emacs/Notepad/whatever hacker's trick") is welcome.

Does this rule out a Wiki?

I'm confident we will find a way. I also have some room left on our little
corporate site (even though I can't promise the bandwith can cope forever).

Also note that the Picolibre portal from the ENSTB (Ecole Nationale
Supérieure des Télécommunications de Bretagne) also accepted to host our
site. I first answered them it would be nice to host our French end-users
portal on it, but it might also be cool to host the full, multilingual
end-users portal we'll have one day on Picolibre (if feasible).

I'm sending a copy of this message to Eric Cousin in order to know better
what we can do on their Picolibre server. Eric, can you tell us if
mainstream PHP- and MySQL-based general-purpose portals like Post-Nuke can
be hosted at an individual project-level on Picolibre?

I'm afraid not.
Web projects spaces on PicoLibre are, as it is the case for Savannah, only static web. This was a security choice : we didn't want to cope with potential security holes that could let someone access to the main picolibre database through some project dynamic web pages.

It is to be noted that we are not using a "classical" static web site for the project PicoLibre itself (PicoLibre is hosting itself). In fact, we are using le 'web' space to store the differents files (xhtml) of our web site, which is then generated and hosted 'elsewhere' (on the same server in this case). So if you browse the web part of picolibre project (http://picolibre.enst-bretagne.fr/projects/picolibre/), you only see lots of xhtml/xsl, dtd files. These are the files that are used to generate the 'real' site of the project (http://www.picolibre.org/). This allows some compromise between a real dynamic site and a static one, keeping full advantages of CVS.

Eric

Regards,

Henri Chorand