[Freecats-Dev] Various feature issues - Server framework (Twisted)

From: Henri Chorand
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] Various feature issues - Server framework (Twisted)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:41:04 +0100

Thierry, it's the last time I'm translating your stuff - but this time, I'm also a culprit: I should have swapped earlier to the dev list too.

> > At least, if we can tame sockets with Python, it's better than
> > the initial idea: using a full-fledged HTTP server...

> This kind of implementation detail is not very important at this
> stage. More attention should be paid to the contents of messages
> exchanged between server and client.

True, I'm working on a basic algorithm right now... that said I don't believe we won't go very far if we can't even list the various modules which we intend to build our project upon. As a rule, the more I dig in this direction, the more I realize this project is ambitious :-( and the more I discover wonders :-)

For instance, I just posted on fr.comp.lang.python to ask for broad-level help, and a nice Python fan told me about a server framework:

http://www.twistedmatrix.com

Well, better have a look if, like me, you didn't know previously about it, folks: - fully written in Python > as portable as Python AND should imply no specific environment requirement (as our app will be written in Python anyway)
- smaller RAM footprint than Apache + mod_python

Please, experienced developers, do provide your feedback ASAP about possible issues and drawbacks stemming from this approach!

Now, about other feature-related issues asked by Thierry:
> Could a translator use several TM servers?
Of course, as long as the interactive translation client allows it, the server won't care. Basically, and as far as I know, it mainly happens when, alongside with the main (updated) TM, a translator wants to also query a second reference (read-only) TM. Trados does it.

> How would one define priorities between them?
For me, one must not mix reference and project TMs.

> How is the TM updated?
In real time, by its users.

> How can one ensure a quality contents?
You can't (not at code level).
Only best practices and experienced translators can provide quality work. That said, I believe the present team CAN provide best practices. The most obvious is crossed proofreading (a standard practice at Kemper DOC), i.e. what's translated is always reviewed by another translation project team member. In order to help this, we plan to implement a basic tool, a "Status" flag (at TU level, within project files) with the following values (the numerical values are somewhat arbitrary):
0 untranslated          Needs to be translated, then reviewed
1 legacy (found in TM)  Needs to be reviewed
2 translated (prev. 0)  Needs to be reviewed
3 reviewed              Can be delivered
Values 0 or 1 are assigned by the translation client based upon what the TM server returns when asked.
Value 1 would be assigned when performing pre-translation (batch mode).
Value 3 would be assigned by a (senior) translator (simply by activating some option in the translation client) who performs translation review.

> How would one implement a filter?
I don't know. What do you want to filter?

> Security/confidentiality: how may one protect TM contents from unauthorized access?

Well, the TM server will feature a basic authentication access (see specification documents), via User ID & Password, and will manage connections. Also, only the user ID assigned to the TM read/write processes will be allowed to access the TM data directory structure (like in Apache).

If you need to be more secure, don't store this server on the Internet, put it on your LAN, and at the very least, do not use a Window$ server. If you need to be "fully" secure, do like Norad, do not connect your network to the outside world. In a nutshell: apply standard security rules to the extent required, like for any Web app.

> Could one apply TM contents to a whole document at once (in order to work partly offline? (needs differ for translation agencies, free-lancers, in-house departments...)

Batch pre-translation (and a disconnected mode on the client) should do it. Another idea is to ask the translator to work in local mode (standalone), then to forward its TM (and translated files) to the project manager. As I already said, I expect the most frequently used configurations to be standalone (server + client(s) on the same computer) or LAN. We only want to ADD the Internet access option.

Regards,

Henri