[Freecats-Dev] KBabel option (portability) - poEdit?

From: Henri Chorand
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] KBabel option (portability) - poEdit?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:19:08 +0100

Simos wrote:

> > > While few of us can directly contribute to code (and it also
> > > depends on the language used), we can still do an awful lot
> > > in terms of documentation, interface localization & public
> > > relations (how to make a free software developers localization
> > > tool into the best tool available for professional translators &
> > > free software localization volunteers alike.

Obviously, this idea's appeal may not be as high as what I was hoping for,
but I didn't have any ulterior motive in stating it.

> > But the goals fo FreeCATS are so ambitious, that it's necessary
> > to do a small steps and KBabel could provide a foundation/
> > replacement for missing parts while developing other.
>
> I agree to this point and I would like to highlight it. KBabel has
> the client side ready for FreeCATS to add the extra functionality.
> addition, KBabel is the most commonly used translation
> application for .PO files, for both KDE3 and GNOME2
> [grep KBabel *.po].

> If this functionality is implemented in an interface-neutral way
> (which should be), then it should be easily ported subsequently
> to 'poEdit' (http://poedit.sf.net/) for those that use non GNU/Linux
> systems.

I would like to provide an alternative here. Part of yesterday's fuss came
from the fact that KBabel is not presently a portable solution, but poEdit
IS presently portable (Linux, MS Windows, OS X (alpha version, as stated in
the screenshots page - better than nothing)).

KBabel & poEdit seem rather similar projects. poEdit's latest activity rate
on Source Forge is 94%, and its latest version is 4 days old - not bad for a
one-man project.

To me, the reasons which we had to contact KBabel team also apply to poEdit.
It features:
- portable through wxWindows
- Unicode support
- apparent ease of installation

So, I'm going to contact poEdit's project manager, Vaclav Slavik (v DOT
slavik AT volny DOT cz), later today, in order to ask him about establishing
cooperation.

> At the moment there is big need to localise .sgml/.xml documents
> on GNU/Linux and there is no sufficient translation tool to do it.

Sadly, it seems poEdit does not deal with these yet, but there are a number
of encouraging signs here and there with this product - the screen captures
show a very neat interface, with examples in Chinese and probably Japanese
(Julien will confirm). I volunteer for installing it on my Linux box.
Anybody to try it under MS Windows or Mac?

Henri