Mailing lists

From: Mark Mitchell
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 15:55:11 -0800

[RESENT -- Mailing list server snafu the first time around...]

As per our discussions yesterday, we have set up three new mailing
lists:

  address@hidden
  address@hidden
  address@hidden

Our mailing list software does not (sadly) make it easy to drop the
redundant `pooma' in the mailing list name.

The purpose of the `pooma-design' list is to discuss interfaces, major
changes, etc. -- things that people at the lab are likely to care
about.  It's not for discussions of every minor change; we don't want
to fill up John and Jean's email boxes needlessly.

The `pooma-design' list contains the `pooma-dev' mailing list as a
sublist; there is no need to post to both lists.  The subscribers to
the `pooma-design' list include John Hall and Jean Marshall, as well
as the developers on the `pooma-dev' list.

The `pooma-cvs' list will not accept postings from the oustide world;
it's only purpose is to log changes to the repository.  You can
subscribe to this list if you want to get a message whenever a change
occurs.

The `pooma-support' list is for now just an alias for the `pooma-dev'
list.  That way a developers will see the support requests quickly.
As discussed yesterday, once QMTrack comes along a little further,
we'll set that up to handle support requests.

Also, it appears that I gave the wrong name for the development
mailing list.  It should have been address@hidden',
not address@hidden'.

All of the lists are public.  Other people may subscribe by sending
mail to `pooma-dev-request', `pooma-design-request',
`pooma-cvs-request', etc.  So pass that information along if you think
there are other people who should be on the lists.  Or, send the
addresses to me, and I will add them.

There are also digest versions of every list that will collect
multiple messages and send them along as a single message every so
often.  Sending mail (of any kind) to the `-request' addresses will
explain how to get on the digest version of the lists, if that would
be more convenient to you.

Yours,

--
Mark Mitchell                   address@hidden