RE: [pooma-dev] timers and performance measurement under Linux

From: Julian C. Cummings
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] timers and performance measurement under Linux
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:20:56 -0700

Hi Jim,

It's probably a good idea to have an option for choosing between CPU time
and wallclock time as the benchmark measurement, since they each have
their own purpose.  Normally CPU time is interesting for measuring on-node
performance and wallclock time is more useful for measuring parallel speedup.
As for threads, I think you can only measure CPU time while a thread is
active on a processor.  Doing anything else doesn't really make sense.  So
with clock(), you would want to call clock() when a thread first begins to work
(not before the thread is actually launched!) and then call clock() again when
the thread is done working (but before the thread exits).  If each thread does
a tiny amount of work, the resolution issue you mentioned will be an issue.
The clock() function has different resolutions on different architectures.  But
normally the variation in performance measurement from one run to the next
is far greater than the timer resolution anyway.

The gettimeofday() function is probably the best thing to use for wallclock
time measurement.  This is what we used in the old Timer class in Pooma r1.
I haven't looked at your check-in yet, but hopefully you remembered to check
for overflow in the microseconds counter and increment the seconds counter
accordingly.  Other than that, I remember that code as being pretty simple.

As for your comments on the PIII performance, I think what you are seeing
is correct.  The out-of-cache performance is not very good.  You will see
closer to optimal performance only when the problem size is in-cache, and
the caches are much smaller than what we were used to on the SGI boxes.
With an optimized C code kernel, you should be able to see the cache effect
and stronger flops numbers for small problem sizes.  (But of course, it gets
harder to measure accurately, too.)  I'm not aware of any profiling tools from
KAI, so I think prof/gprof is all there is, unless you know how to access Pentium
hardware counters.  Quite a while ago, I fooled around with the performance
analysis tools that come with Intel VTune.  They were not terribly helpful, other
than telling me the obvious, that all the time was being spent in the kernel loop.
The real problem is that the optimization and inlining of the compiler were poor
enough that there was little to do to improve performance.  I remember being
surprised to find that Blitz code optimized much better under VTune than Pooma
code.  I think the reasons had to do with the amount of template complexity
in Pooma versus Blitz.  Maybe things are better under newer versions of VTune,
but Allan didn't seem too impressed with the newest VTune when I asked him
about it.  In any case, I sort of thought that VTune was not an important target
for Pooma and its customers, so I haven't pursued it further.

Julian C.