fields on unstructured meshes

From: Toon Knapen
Subject: fields on unstructured meshes
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:25:13 -0400

The documentation of pooma 2.3 indicates that one of the next releases will
contain unstructured meshes. I guess it's not yet for 2.4 since I can't find
them in the CVS.

But I don't see how the Field concept will be extended to unstructured
meshes.  A field currently supports Array-like indexing (e.g. 2 indices for
2-dimensional meshes). But on unstructured meshes, the elements need be
numbered using some numbering scheme that is not purely based on the position
of the element. But what happens with the Array-like indexing in this case ?

I'm also curious why you decided to use the dimension (of the problem) as a
template parameter . As a consequence, you need different executables to
simulate input-files describing a 2D and a 3D problem. But I guess the
decision is based on the performance that can be gained by fixing the
dimension ?

toon