Re: [pooma-dev] Some special needs for Lattice Gauge Theory

From: Richard Guenther
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Some special needs for Lattice Gauge Theory
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 12:00:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Norbert Nemec wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm just starting with my physics diploma which is about numerical
> lattice gauge theory (some pretty fundamental stuff)
>
> So far I have started looking into POOMA as a tool and it seems to fit
> my needs extremely well. Anyhow, there are a few special things I could
> not find so far. I'm willing and capable to implement them myself and
> I'm also willing to contribute to the POOMA project. Still, before I
> start digging into the matters, I'd like to know whether there already
> are people who have experience in that field or might even have done
> some work on it.
>
> The things I need are:
> * 4 dimensional fields in euclidean space-time (I assume that's just gonna
>   be some copy-and-paste work)

This should be supported by POOMA already.

> * extensive use of random-number-generators (RNGComponent fits most of my
> needs)

Didnt look into the RNGComponent class yet.

> * some kind of stencils with more than one input field (to allow the use of
>   per-site-RNG within the stencil)

You mean a stencil that has an operator() like

  A& operator()(const B&, const C&) const;

this would be useful for me, too. It seems the FieldStencil(Simple) needs
some work - at least in documentation. But multi-input stencils are
possible.

> Much of the stuff would probably be implementable without any changes to the
> POOMA sources, but the kind of work I'm preparing for demands some kind of
> abstraction
> of different field types (U(1), SU(N), gaugefields, scalar fields, vector
> fields) and
> algorithms (Metropolis, and more specialized Monte Carlo methods)

Hmm - can you elaborate more on these "field types"? What fundamental
properties do they share/differ in? How would you use them?

> Any ideas and cooperation are very welcome. I'm pretty serious about
> investing some
> time and others will hopefully have some profit from it, too.

Contributing is very well needed. I'm trying to do this myself, but be
prepared to be confronted with some legal issues from the CodeSourcery if
you want to contribute. I hope I get positive feedback from our local
legal department after I return from vacation.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <address@hidden>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/