Re: [pooma-dev] Re: pooma-dev Digest 23 Jun 2003 12:57:44 -0000 Issue 24

From: Mark Mitchell
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Re: pooma-dev Digest 23 Jun 2003 12:57:44 -0000 Issue 243
Date: 23 Jun 2003 08:50:34 -0700

> Ok, the things I am able to spent time on are:
> - use autoconf/automake/libtool to get rid of current build system

I'd rather see us avoid automake and libtool, if we can.  I don't think
we should need automake if we use GNU make, probably.  I'm not sure
about libtool, but adding libtool to a build process seems to make it
complex, fragile, and slow almost all of the time...

After all, POOMA is only going to be used on a few real systems these
days -- not a whole lot of 68K HP-UX boxes running POOMA...

> In this process we're going to loose a lot of the current configure
> options, also (initially) support for tau, paws, etc. (but cheetah).

Yes, I'm not sure how much people need those things these days, but we
can add them back with --enable-tau, etc.

> If more people like to work on this, this can be done on a branch, if not,
> I can try to do this locally in a bk repository.

A branch is probably a good idea.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC