Re: [pooma-dev] ?

From: Jeffrey D. Oldham
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] ?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:48:13 -0700

Roman Krylov wrote:

I'm sorry, I merely copied/pasted it from http://www.zib.de/benger/pooma/tut-01.html#laplace
So,... is it proposal to change that  tutorial?
But the question persists:
how a metal sheet could have non-constant(spatially) electric potential distribution whereas it should be constant V=const ?
Cheers
   Roman.

First, I apologize for my slowness in understanding the physics issues. I have more of a computer science than a physics background.

The purpose of tutorial 1 is to introduce using POOMA to solve Laplace's Equation. The particular application of Laplace's Equation is not important for this tutorial. It is just added to motivate the tutorial. All the equations, iterative solutions, and programs stand independent of the motivation.

The tutorial begins with Laplace's Equation for a charge-free region of space. (Compare with http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/laplace.html .) By the end of the first section, the tutorial introduces a charge distribution \Beta, modifying the iterative equation. Then the tutorial demonstrates how to use POOMA to write a program simulating the iterative equation.

With a non-zero charge distribution /Beta, the resulting V should not be constant. With a zero charge distribution, V should be constant. Running the POOMA program should reveal this regardless of whether one could prove this mathematically without the use of a program.

Does this answer your query?

Would this text be more acceptable:
"... where V is, for example, the electric potential of a charge-free flat metal sheet"?

--
Jeffrey D. Oldham
address@hidden