Re: [FR-devel] Source Browser [was Editor API?]

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Source Browser [was Editor API?]
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 17:53:44 +0200

NISHIO Mizuho wrote:

2) FreeBase Slot ['/system/ui/current/EditPane']
This slot doesn't work.
When I show the content of this slot with DataBusInspector,
the DataBusInspector window doesn't respond to my action.

This bug has been around since the beginning. I was too lazy to investigate why displaying the content of this slot (I use "inspect" on the value to display a slot value) freezes the databusinspector. If sbdy wants to have a look at it....while I'm sweating like crazy to make the debugger run on Windows

3) real-time analysis
The current version of the source browser parses ruby script if the "update" command is executed.

Forcing an update by hand to start with is acceptable. It is also possible to have an internal timer which looks whether the file has been modified once every 30 seconds, may be quickly look for a new or removed def lines and re-run the parser in a thread to avoid getting in the way of the programmer. Just an idea

It may be possible to synchronize the source with the source browser automatically. But, to achieve this,
the Editor pane creation event and the Editor pane change event
must be hooked. I hope Editor API discussion solves this problem.

THis is a good example of what the Editor API could bring. Which probably means enhancing the EditPane plugin to allow another plugin to listen an a subslot of the EditPane slot where events are posted. However I'm not sure this is really appropriate to trigger the source browser update each time a new character is typed. May be the simple mechanism I explained above is enough in practice.

LJ
--
Laurent JULLIARD - Xerox R&T/SSTC/XPA - Open Source team