[FR-devel] wxRuby [was Cool Ruby class diagrams]

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: [FR-devel] wxRuby [was Cool Ruby class diagrams]
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:38:07 -0700

Rich Kilmer wrote:

> > Bob H wrote:
> >
> > Is FR still going with wxRuby instead of FXRuby?
>
> We will be sticking with Fox for a while.  Wx has internationalization
> (i18n) which is why Curt is working on it.  Because of this, when WxRuby
> gets stable, there will likely be a switch (or possibly a concurrent
> capability if Fox gets i18n).  We really would rather work on the IDE
> and not a GUI library, but necessity dictates ;-)
>
> -rich

Rich summed it up pretty well.

If fox was i18n ready, we wouldn't be doing this. But now that we are
started there will be other benefits, as well. The biggest one (for me) is
the fact that wxWindows uses native widgets (like SWT).

I have put my work on wxRuby on hold until after the Ruby conference. But, I
have Park's port of wxPython working under Windows, and my in my initial
work I determined that SWIG is not up to the task of processing the complex
header files of wxWindows, so the interface files will stay.

After the Ruby conference, my primary strategy will be to create a robust
test harness and then build out a test suite to verify the proper
functioning of all areas (fixing problems as I uncover them). The test suite
will also facilitate testing wxRuby on other platforms.

Curt