[FR-devel] Input requested on plugin directory naming.

From: Rich Kilmer
Subject: [FR-devel] Input requested on plugin directory naming.
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:39:33 -0500

Our current naming structure for plugins is quite ad hoc.  We have
System_Commands, System_GuiCode and System_GuiRenderFox for the basic
IDE and then directories named after functions (Debugger, FileBrowser,
ScriptBrowser) for the rest.  I think this is a problem waiting to
happen.  We will quickly run out of names for stuff (like the current
Ruby naming problems.  My recommendation is to rename the plugin
directories and move all their code.  The question is what naming
convention to use.

What are your thoughts about using Eclipse-like/Java-like domain name
dirs with underscores instead of dots for separators:

org_rubyide_core_gui
  - Core GUI stuff (components)

org_rubyide_core_gui_fox
  - Fox renderer...other renderers would be likewise named

org_rubyide_core_commands
  - Standard commands

org_rubyide_util_logger
  - the util groups holds all utility plugins

org_rubyide_tools_debugger
  - all tool plugins go under org_rubyide_tools_...

And I want to add the "plugins" directory to the ruby path so that if a
plugin needed to reference other files, it would use its directory+file
(regardless of the "plugin" main directory.)  This is a big issue
because right now the plugin directory name is a parameter, but the
plugins themselves use an absolute path
("plugins/System_GuiCore/Component.rb")...so this change is needed.

Please respond soon, I want to roll this in.

-rich

Rich Kilmer, InfoEther LLC
trap("SIGINT") { raise [104, 101, 108, 108].pack("cccc") }