Re: [freesci-develop] Requesting feedback: Early thoughts on a configura

From: Matt
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Requesting feedback: Early thoughts on a configuration subsystem
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:51:11 -0700

Hi Chris

However below you mentioned a possibility for some kind of code
generator, that would work too, it would just mean copying some same
kind of work between the different front-ends.

Motivation for the code generator would be primarily to ease
maintenance. Frontends would then plug into information provided
dynamically OR provide a specific part of the code generator that
emits appropriate code statically.
I was thinking about a simple command line tool that would digest and return settings to and from the config file (could be anything though, the config file could change format, it would be transparent for the launcher). However after some thought I don't think that would be a good solution as it could mean running into the maximum size of a commandline (if there would be many settings). I slowly think it would be the best just to supply a common general read/write c file (you hinted already at config.c one time) and have the launchers just use this file to read and write the settings.

Matt