[freesci-develop] Requesting feedback: Early thoughts on a configuration

From: Christoph Reichenbach
Subject: [freesci-develop] Requesting feedback: Early thoughts on a configuration subsystem
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 03:10:56 +0200

Hi everyone,

  one of the current weaknesses of FreeSCI-- particularly Glutton-- is
the lack of unified configuration handling. While I'm fairly
comfortable with the treatment of configuration files at the moment
(config.l), the following things are lacking:

- Systematic integration of command-line arguments with configuration
  file options
- Dynamic configuration updates (as required for reasonable builtin
  frontend support)
- Support for a default system configuration file

Beyond this, Gluton's configuration support is fairly incomplete ATM,
but that's something we can pick up along the way there. Now, there
has been some work on front-ends, so I'm wondering: What are the
requirements these systems have? Would it be feasible to generate the
information needed by these systems statically, throught a simple
code-generator?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

-- Christoph