Re: FT2: FT_Get_Glyph_Bitmap()

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: FT2: FT_Get_Glyph_Bitmap()
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:50:39 +0100

Hi Jack,

> Hi David/Werner,
>
> The FreeType 2.0 Tutorial (freetype2/tutorial.html) makes reference to a
> FT_Get_Glyph_Bitmap() function for bitmap rendering.  While this function is
> defined in freetype.h, there does not appear to be any implementation in the
> FT2 sources as yet (at least as of 2/17).  ftview.c shows using
> FT_Load_Glyph(), FT_Translate_Outline() and FT_Get_Bitmap_Outline().
>
> I assume that using FT_Load_Glyph(), FT_Translate_Outline() and
> FT_Get_Bitmap_Outline() will still be a valid way to perform rendering.  Am I
> correct to assume that FT_Get_Glyph_Bitmap() will simply be an embodiment of
> FT_Load_Glyph(), FT_Translate_Outline() and FT_Get_Bitmap_Outline()?

Well, the planned API is :

  FT_Get_Glyph_Bitmap( face, &bitmap )

      Render the glyph image currently loaded in the face's glyph slot
      in a target bitmap. Pretty much dispatch the call to the glyph format's
      raster (does not translate the outline or create the pixels buffer).

  FT_Load_Glyph_Bitmap( face, glyph_index, load_flags )

      Load a given glyph, create a bitmap buffer for it then
      render the glyph within it. The image can then be accessed
      through "face->glyph->bitmap".

      FT_LOAD_MONOCHROME is used to specify a b&w bitmap only
      otherwise, the number of grays is given through a function like

          FT_Set_Raster_Mode( format, "grays", 128 );

For now, I haven't made my mind yet..

- David