Re: Linux and OpenType [was: Whither OpenType]

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Linux and OpenType [was: Whither OpenType]
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 00:02:55 GMT

> The bogey that FreeType may infringe on some of Apple's software
> patents was apparently first raised by Sampo Kaasila who now works
> for Bitstream who are of course selling this commercial library
> which does more or less the same thing as FreeType.

Note that only TrueType's hinting interpreter is affected by the
patents, and you can compile FreeType without the interpreter by
simply changing a macro definition.

AFAIK, there are no OpenType patents.

An autohinting module for FreeType 2 is already under development.

> Although AFAIK Apple themselves have never complained about FT - or
> made these patents an issue [...]

They do.  We've already signed NDAs with Apple to discuss the patent
issues (this discussion has not yet begun, though).