Re: Arabic

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Arabic
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:22:31 GMT

> As you know, Arabic is written from Right To Left. How should we
> use the metrics to display Arabic strings ?
>
> Currently we follow the ftstrto example program :
> -> x - advance
> -> x + bearingX
> -> draw the bitmap
> -> x - advance

I believe that in this respect ftstrtto does the right thing (it works
incorrectly for Nastaliq fonts, AFAIK -- the base line must be the
bottom and not the top).

> Is this the correct way, because sometimes the spacing looks a bit
> odd ?

Can you send a small image to the list?  Maybe some Arabic experts are
reading this and can check it.

Note that some bad behaving Arabic Window fonts contain accents which
have positive advance width values (which should be zero instead)...