Re: FT2 design question

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: FT2 design question
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:54:04 +0100

[ My suggestion adding some FT_Outline methods ]
David Turner wrote:
>But these methods are used to build outlines, aren't they ? This is something
>that is more useful to a font builder than FreeType itself.

You're absolutely right.

>However, feel
>free to implement them in "src/base/ftoutln.c" if you want them, they
>shouldn't hurt

I already have an implementation in my ad-hoc Python wrapper for ftraster.c
(it's more convenient in my setup to create outlines this way), I'll look
into separating them into ftoutl.c|h.

>(please also define a configuration macro like
>FT_CONFIG_OPTION_BUILD_OUTLINES to control their compilation. I'm an embedded
>systems freak, and like the ability to choose which features I want when
>building a library :-)

As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm still pretty clueless about a) Make in
general and b) how the FT2 build system works ;-) so I'm not entirely sure
how/what you mean. However, if I just provide ftoutl.c and .h, this may be
used by clients if they want to, but it won't get included by default,
right?

>I can't really tell why,

Ahhh, the joy of NDA's ;-)

>but the hinter will have an external API, and
>will most probably have a 'standalone' version, just like the current
>raster. But it's a bit too soon to discuss the topic :-)

Ok... Looking forward to it!

Just