Re: FT2 Mac support

From: Pavel Kankovsky
Subject: Re: FT2 Mac support
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:02:17 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Just van Rossum wrote:

> >Please duplicate the code.  IMHO it is better to have all
> >system-specific files in one subdir.  You can write a small readme
> >which explains that the files are just copies from the ansi files.
>
> I *really* dislike this. Most importantly since the ansi stuff *isn't*
> platform-specific! At all. It builds & works out of the box on my lovely
> toy OS.
> Polite, but desparate suggestion/plea: create one directory that contains
> the following *default* (and portable) files:

I agree duplication is bad. It seems David has already made changes in the
direction suggested by Just. Nevertheless, there is an alternative
duplication-free approach: make your file #include the other
file. As a bonus, one can use (or abuse?) this approach to reuse other
file partially...rename symbols you want to override with #define,
#include the other file, #undef redefined symbols etc. But remember: the
preprocessor is a razor-like tool; you can do wonders with it but as soon
as your hand slips, you hurt yourself badly! :)

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."