Re: FT2 Mac support

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: FT2 Mac support
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:35:14 +0100

At 1:46 PM +0100 29-02-2000, Antoine Leca wrote:
>BTW, it appears to me that some tools really insists on CR line-endings
>(that is, what is noral on Macs). Do the usual untargz programs used on Macs
>(whatever they are) automatically convert the files, like some untar do
>on DOS/Windows?

Absolutely. As does maccvs. It's all very transparent and relatively painless.

>I can correct that by two ways: keeping the .sit (just changing the
>extension),
>or converting it to BinHex, and changing its name to .sit.hqx (or whatever).
>What do you prefer?

I don't care much since it's not very likely I'll use that old stuff. I
think for now it's easiest to rename the file to mac.sit.

>> (Btw. last week I had a brief
>> conversation with the contributor of the Mac stuff in FT1.x: unfortunately
>> he doesn't have the time to support it, and the current build is broken. I
>> went straight to FT2...)
>
>Just, or Dan if time allows, can you elaborate on what is brocken?
>Is it easy to fix.

Hmmm... I just tried again to get the exact error message and all of a
sudden it *does* build! I have no clue what I might have done wrong before,
but I'm sure it was all my own fault... So I retract my statement: the mac
build is not broken!

>> I actually consider contributing that particular subdirectory as a
>> compressed mac archive, encoded as one single binhex file.
>
>If you do that, every change will be seen by CVS as a whole replacement
>of the .hqx, which basically defeats CVS purpose... (no tracking of
>every modification, no way for two people to work at the same time)

I know I know... It would be easier for a Mac developer (only one file to
unpack) but your points are well taken.

Just