Re: More patches for t2gload.c

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: More patches for t2gload.c
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 09:03:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi David,

> Tom, keeping 16.16 numbers is important to implement multiple masters
> in CFF correctly (granted, this is now out of the OpenType specification
> but I wouldn't be surprised to see some pure-CFF multiple master some
> day in a Distiller-generated document)..
>
> And technically speaking, some operators like "div" or "sqrt" should better
> return a 16.16 number to not lose accuracy..
>
> We can get rid of it, but I have to wonder if this won't cause problems
> with a number of fonts.. Have you tested your changes with a lot of them ?

Oh, I see.  The reason why you were keeping it as 16.16 during the
parse phase is for other operators that require 16.16 operands.  You
only shift left when assigning to a point.  Now I begin to winder if
even that is a good idea, because some of Adobe's OpenType "Pro"
(AJensonPro, AGaramondPro, etc...) use 16.16 numbers for points on a
path (instead of just for side bearings and adavnced widths).

As for pure CFF Multiple Masters: most (all?) distiller like products
don't embed the complete MM font; they use an instance that has been
interpolated from the original, so we just have a plain old Type 1
font converted to CFF.  I have never seen a PDF file with an embedded
*full* MM font.

Tom