Short Roadmap

From: David Turner
Subject: Short Roadmap
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:45:45 +0200

Hello all,

> > > Is volume 3 of the programmer's guide out yet?
>
> No.  This is David's task :-)  Unfortunately, he is very busy with
> something different (to earn money...)

Well, the good news is that I completed the project you're refering to
yesterday, which means I now have a lot more time to complete FreeType,
yepee :-)

Here's a short road-map for the following weeks:

  regarding FreeType 2:

     - completing the documentation. which means:

         o completing the tutorial (yeah..)

         o completing the "docmaker.py" script to generate a clean
           and sorted API reference

         o adding one or two documents (for example, I've started
           one paper describing module management and how to add
           your own font driver, I'm pretty certain this will
           be interesting to a few people :-)

     - completing the cache sub-system. providing a "metrics" cache
       as well as better code to cache lots of small items (each cache
       node takes about 28 bytes for now, which is a lot if your item
       is a monochrome bitmap !!). shouldn't be much work..

     - rewriting a native Type 1 hinter.

  I have also started working on a text layout library, though it's
  still on the very early stage. Its available under the module
  name "ftlayout" in the CVS. Note that I'll make a complete announcement
  and roadmap for it next week.

  I'll be working on documentation and maintenance until at least next
  wednesday, then serious work on the t1 hinter and the cache will begin..

> > Talk to Werner about coding conventions.  I have been in the code
> > long enough now that I almost code to that unspecified standard, but
> > Werner will still reformat my patches.  Its OK. :)
>
> Note that reformatting doesn't mean that I know it so much better than
> you all, but it's my way of reading source code.

And as Werner rightly pointed it to me when we last met, re-reading the
complete source code is also a good way to check that any stupid bug
didn't get in ;-)

Cheers,

- David