Re: Courier-Oblique

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Courier-Oblique
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:43:52 +0100

Hi Tom,

> Oops....  This is not a hinting bug.  In fact, the way T1_Load_Glyph is set
> up,
> hinting is never used.  The bug is somewhere in T1_Load_Glyph, though, and it
> can be triggered by turning hinting on and off.
>
> Bart De Lathouwer sent me an email note that the problem might be with the
> metrics.  Sure enough, when hinting is turned off, T1_Load_Glyph is called
> with
> FT_LOAD_NO_RECURSE, and that is when the font views properly.  But metrics are
> handled differently in this case...

This is a bug in the auto-hinter. It should be applying the transform
after processing the glyph outline, but doesn't (silly me !!).

and in case you wondered, FT_LOAD_NO_RECURSE intentionally disables
transform processing to let the auto-hinter process un-transformed outlines.

I'll try to fix this now..

- David