RE: [Devel] Re: Distiller produced PFA problems

From: Blinn, Eric W
Subject: RE: [Devel] Re: Distiller produced PFA problems
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:49:33 -0600

Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

> I didn't mean to sound so snippy...

No problem Tom.  I didn't think you were being snippy anyway.
And I surely didn't mean to sound like I was snippily responding
to your snippiness!  Okay, your turn.  ;-)

So with just your patch applied to the current CVS snapshot, you were able
to open the font with ftview just fine?  Hmm... that is interesting.

Well, let me clarify one thing.  I don't have CVS here, so I am working with
the most recent freetype2-current and ft2demos-current snapshots I could
get. It was timestamped 1/19/01 10:45 on the SourceForge FTP server.  I
should think that has to be real close if not exactly the same source tree.
As further assurance, according to the ViewCVS web interface nothing in the
Type 1 driver has changed in at least two weeks.

Now, as for the possibility of a platform dependent issue...  I'm currently
working on Windows NT using Visual C++ 5.0 and also DEC OSF/1 using the
native DEC compiler.  On both platforms, ftview fails to open the PFA
example I sent.  Both were built with the source snapshots I mentioned above
and your patch applied.  So that does not rule it out entirely, but it
certainly suggests that this is not a platform specific issue (at least not
one single platform).

Of course, another possibility is an endian-ness dependent issue.  Intel and
Alpha are little-endian.  SPARC is big-endian.  Perhaps a byte-order
dependency?

- Eric