Re: [Devel] #include hacks in freetype headers

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] #include hacks in freetype headers
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 08:33:46 +0100 (CET)

> My suggestion essentially duplicates the functionality of the
> existing code without regard to that codes merit, recall that the
> current code does:
>
> #ifndef    FT_BUILD_H
> #  define  FT_BUILD_H    <freetype/config/ftbuild.h>
> #endif
> #include   FT_BUILD_H
>
> I admit to not understanding why this is even here; this
> functionality is not used by the version of FreeType2 I'm using.

Indeed, this code is rather messy currently -- nobody has apparently
time at the moment to fix this (I haven't heard something from David
for a month or so, and I'm working hard on preparing the next release
of groff).

The bottom line is that the way we would like to have it doesn't work
because we must face the reality of many, many `ANSI compilers' which
aren't ANSI at all regarding cpp but severely broken.  We will
eventually have

  #include FT_BUILD_H

etc., the only portable macro expansion in #include lines, collecting
the `#define FT_BUILD_H <string>' somewhere which can be configured if
necessary.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  We won't release a new version before
fixing this, I think.  The other issue is adding the HTML API
reference into the FT 2 bundle, but this is rather trivial, given that
the docmaker script now works quite reliable.