[Devel] Global memory

From: Sander van der Wal
Subject: [Devel] Global memory
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:04:54 +0100

Hi

I'm porting FreeType2 to EPOC, and as some of you may know, EPOC
doesn't allow non-const global data in dll's for the target device. I
am compiling now for the target device and I have found a few
instances where global data is used. For a couple of them I even have
a fix. Nothing spectacular, I just kept adding const until the build
finished succesfully.

in psnames.h

22c22
<   static const char*  standard_glyph_names[] =
---
>   static const char* const standard_glyph_names[] =
1097c1097
<   static const char**  t1_standard_glyphs = standard_glyph_names +
31;
---
>   static const char* const * const t1_standard_glyphs =
standard_glyph_names + 31;

in pcfutil.c

35c35
<   static unsigned char _reverse_byte[0x100] =
---
>   static const unsigned char _reverse_byte[0x100] =

The only problem I still have is in

autohint\ahhint.c. At line 43 are two static vars

/*********************************************************************
****/

/*********************************************************************
****/
  /****
****/
  /****   Hinting routines
****/
  /****
****/

/*********************************************************************
****/

/*********************************************************************
****/

  static int  disable_horz_edges = 0;
  static int  disable_vert_edges = 0;

they are set around line 387 in ah_hinter_hint_edges and used round
line 218 in ah_hint_edges_3.
Both these functions have an AH_Hinter struct as a parameter. Is there
a special reason that these two vars are global, or is it possible to
put them in the AH_Hinter struct?

I can live without the autohinter, I think, but it would be nice to
have it too.

Sander van der Wal