[Devel] Cache Manager

From: Mike Owens
Subject: [Devel] Cache Manager
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:24:49 -0400

I'm currently testing to find the fastest method to retrieve characters. Using
the cache manager I cache the lower half of the character set on boot up. I've
used a truetype font and a .fon file. Using the .fon file  is much faster than
the truetype font but not 'apparently' for the reason I thought. After tracing
through the code, I've noticed that the rendering process also allocates bitmap
memory for a character in the .fon file of which I thought it would not. I
though it would just use the bitmaps in the font file. Anyway, since the cache
system is caching for both fonts, I was wondering why using the truetype file
was so much slower. Am I doing something incorrectly?

An additional question: Is the font system capable of scaling a bitmap font?
And where would I look for this?
Best regards
Mike Owens