[Devel] Using FreeType to Render Arbitrary Polygons

From: Feinberg, Matthew
Subject: [Devel] Using FreeType to Render Arbitrary Polygons
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:15:46 -0400

Hi,

Ages ago on the list, I brought up the subject of using FT2 to render
arbitrary polygons by calling the anti-aliased scanline converter
directly.  However, what with one thing and another, I'm finally just
getting to that project.

I know it's possible to do it; I've been told so on the list, and the
comments in the FT2 code indicate that it is possible.

However, I'm not quite clear on exactly which functions to call to set
up the outline, and how to call the renderer directly.  If someone can
just point me in the right direction, I can probably figure out the rest
myself.

In addition, another point I'm a little concerned about:  The project
uses FT2 to render text, but I also want to call the scanline converter
directly.  I noticed that the scanline converter takes a handle to a
memory allocator, and also uses some shared resources (a render
pool?)... is it safe to have an instance of the library that I'm using
to render text, and also call the scanline converter directly, or could
there be conflicts?  Finally, is there a memory allocator handle from
the FT library that I can just pass to the scanline converter when
calling it in stand-alone mode?

Thanks,

--Matthew