[Devel] Paper: Cleanup Stack Exception Handling

From: David Turner
Subject: [Devel] Paper: Cleanup Stack Exception Handling
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:42:22 +0200

Hello to all members of the FreeType devel list,

  I'd like to collect your opinion on a paper I just finished. It's
  now available as HTML at:

             http://www.freetype.org/david/reliable-c.html

  (sorry for typos and missing links in the documents, I haven't re-read
   it as deeply as I should yet).

  It describes the exception handling sub-system that I have implemented
  in the MLib, and compares it to other commonly used schemes used by
  "reliable" programs and libraries..

  For those who do not know it, the MLib is the "general" support library on
  which FT Layout, and a few other projects I won't speak yet, will be
  based. Think about it as a sort of GLib for embedded systems. For more
  details, see:

            http://www.freetype.org/mlib/index.html

  The MLib itself is now very close to 0.1 (alpha) release. I have commited
  a major change yesterday to the CVS, and will now start to generate the
  API and complete its tutorial.

  Note that the paper is not MLib specific, and should be an interesting
  read to _any_ C developer that wants to write reliable code _easily_
  (i.e. without checking everything everywhere), so don't skip it if
  you don't care about the MLib/FTLayout stuff..

  I welcome your comments on the subject..

Best Regards,

- David