[Devel] Re: Why is it that Xfree86 ships libfreetype.so.7 and the latest

From: David Turner
Subject: [Devel] Re: Why is it that Xfree86 ships libfreetype.so.7 and the latestFreetype release ships libfreetype.so.7
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:45:28 +0100

Hello Miles,

Miles Lane a écrit :

> When I compile some applications, I get warnings about possible
> conflicts between the Freetype and XFree86 versions of libfreetype.so.

I know, apparently the problem comes from the fact that XFree86 provides
its own version of FreeType in /usr/X11R6/lib (for use by Xft), while
some distributions also install it in /usr/lib

It's a packaging/distribution problem, there is little we can do except
urge distributors to respect the "/usr/lib" distribution default..

note that the default Unix Makefile installs in "/usr/lib/local",
as usual for Unix packages..

don't Unix configuration "flexibility" sucks sometimes :-)

Regards,

- David