Re: [Devel] Unix-friendly install scripts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Unix-friendly install scripts
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 03:09:59 +0100 (CET)

>   Which means that instead of:
>
>      make setup unix CFG="<youroptions>"
>      make
>      make install
>

>   all you need to do now:
>
>      ./configure  <youroptions>
>      make
>      ./install

The `configure' script is a good idea.  Nevertheless, the normal
incantation for all GNU programs is

  ./configure
  make
  make install

So I think that `install' is not really necessary.  Perhaps we should
remove it again to follow the GNU standard...

>   Also, we use "/usr/local" as the default installation path.
>   However, since FreeType is installed on more and more
>   distributions in "/usr", would it be wise to change this default
>   to "/usr" too ??

Definitely *not*.  This would be a real misbehaviour for an additional
library.  The only exception I can see to install something in /usr
and not in /usr/local is programs specific to the maintainance of an
operating system, e.g. `fsck.ext2' and friends..

>   And should we try to fix the XFree86 mess in the install
>   script (i.e. check for /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so and
>   see if it links to /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.X.Y.Z.so)

This might me a good idea, but my knowledge of XFree86 installation
stuff is too limited to say `yes' or `no'.