Re: [Devel] Unix-friendly install scripts

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Unix-friendly install scripts
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:51:21 +0100

Hi Werner,

Werner LEMBERG a écrit :

> >   Which means that instead of:
> >
> >      make setup unix CFG="<youroptions>"
> >      make
> >      make install
> >

> >   all you need to do now:
> >
> >      ./configure  <youroptions>
> >      make
> >      ./install
>
> The `configure' script is a good idea.  Nevertheless, the normal
> incantation for all GNU programs is
>
>   ./configure
>   make
>   make install
>
> So I think that `install' is not really necessary.  Perhaps we should
> remove it again to follow the GNU standard...

Actually, "make install" still works as expected. The "install" script
is there because I want to be able to use it with jam too
("jam install" doesn't work as expected until I change the Jamfiles
 seriously..)

I'll change the current documentation to specify "make install" instead
of "./install". However, I'll keep the 'install' script for practical
reasons..

> >   Also, we use "/usr/local" as the default installation path.
> >   However, since FreeType is installed on more and more
> >   distributions in "/usr", would it be wise to change this default
> >   to "/usr" too ??
>
> Definitely *not*.  This would be a real misbehaviour for an additional
> library.  The only exception I can see to install something in /usr
> and not in /usr/local is programs specific to the maintainance of an
> operating system, e.g. `fsck.ext2' and friends..

Understood. :o)

> >   And should we try to fix the XFree86 mess in the install
> >   script (i.e. check for /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so and
> >   see if it links to /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.X.Y.Z.so)
>
> This might me a good idea, but my knowledge of XFree86 installation
> stuff is too limited to say `yes' or `no'.

Same as mine, though I tend to think that it's XFree86's mess, and
that they should be responsible for fixing it, which shouldn't be
that difficult, damnit !!

A "--system-freetype" configure option should be enough in most cases
(just like Qt comes with "--system-jpeg" and "--system-png", I believe)

Regards,

- David