[Devel] Re: Bad truetype rendering? still not satisfied!!

From: Robert Schelander
Subject: [Devel] Re: Bad truetype rendering? still not satisfied!!
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:12:07 +0100

> Even with the bytecode interpreter the FreeType2 glyphs are
> far *blurrier* than the FreeType1 glyphs.
Thanks for this assessment. I knew that all the time during
testing, but I'm happy to hear that from someone else now.

> The same thing happens with Mozilla: developers build better
> code and there is a period of time when the people prefer the
> results of the old *tuned* (or hacked) code better than the
> new *untuned* code.
Has someone back-ported ImageMagick for freetype1 ?
I would even pay for it if it is a quick hack, because my
time is very limited.
A port would be very interesting, because I'm in the lucky situation
that the only thing I have to care is the end result. Of course I
understand that most people have to care about patents too.

> The FreeType developers are not getting paid for this so
> I am always so *very* thankful for their work.
I totally agree to that! I never complaint... I really know they
do very good unpaid work.
The only thing I wanted to be confirmed from someone is that
freetype2 produces worse results than freetype1 despite a
probably better/newer/patentfree code. At least at the moment.

Robert