Re: [Devel] Adding options to the PS Hinter

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: Re: [Devel] Adding options to the PS Hinter
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:31:39 -0400 (EDT)

David Turner <address@hidden> writes:

> >>I don't know why, but it seems I can't apply your patch to
> >>the CVS repository. Could you try re-generating it with
> >>"cvs diff -urN"  ??
> > Hmm, did some testing and you are right, it doesn't just
> > apply with 'patch -p0'; I think patch must have some
> > heuristics that are getting confused here.
> > However, the typical magic CVS patch workaround:
> >  POSIXLY_CORRECT=1 patch -p0 < /tmp/freetype.patch
> > Does work for me. Just in case it was something else, I've
> > reattached the patch, generated with "diff -uN" not "diff -up"
> > and gzip'ed against mailer corruption.
> >
> Well, for some reason, I still can't use my version of 'patch'
> with the file you sent. I have commited your changes, (as well
> as all recent patches you sent) by hand.

Sorry to cause you extra work here; I probably should just
avoid using 'cvs diff' output for sending patches. It's
always just a bit troublesome.

> I'll now look for another version of patch to install on my
> machine. In the meantime, if you intend to work heavily on
> the Postscript hinter, we could give you commit access to
> the repository to ease things up.
>
> Just send me a login and an encrypted password if you need
> it..

Hmmm, hard to say at this point how much more work I'll be
doing on the pshinter. I still have a few more things I
want to try, but mostly it's been fixing problems that I
spot rather than a major plan of work.

But to be proactive:

 login:            otaylor
 crypted password: jilTRqN6995NQ

BTW, I spent some time this today looking at the output
of the autohinter from CVS, and was quite impressed by how
well it was doing for sans-serif fonts.

Regards,
                                        Owen