Re: [Devel] CIDCMap support code (alpha version)

From: Pavel Kankovsky
Subject: Re: [Devel] CIDCMap support code (alpha version)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 01:23:32 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, YAMANO-UCHI Hidetoshi wrote:

> I think we had better to add ft_encoding_ucs2, ft_encoding_ucs4 and
> ft_encoding_utf8.  And we had better to change ft_encoding_unicode to
> (ft_encoding_ucs2 | ft_encoding_ucs4) for backward compatibility.

Why? UCS4 is a proper superset of UCS2 ergo there is no point in having
special support for UCS2. And FT works with individual character codes,
not with encoded strings, ergo there is no point in having special
support for UTF-8--it is the application's responsibility to translate
UTF-8 or whatever strings into a sequence of "wide characters".

(I see there are distinct "UCS2" and "UTF8" CID cmaps out there but,
honestly, the person who is responsible for it should be shot.)

>    e. ft_encoding_ issue
>       (perl 5.8 has more 100 encoding names.
>        FreeType will support these names? or IANA registered names?)

Would it make sense to support all this Babylonian mess of encodings? The
list of "native" encodings is pretty short and the rest would be usable
iff the application loaded a standalone cmap explicitly.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."