Re: [Devel] CIDCMap support code (alpha version)

From: 山内 英敏
Subject: Re: [Devel] CIDCMap support code (alpha version)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:36:54 +0900 (JST)

Hello,

From: Pavel Kankovsky <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 01:23:32 +0200 (MET DST)

> Why? UCS4 is a proper superset of UCS2 ergo there is no point in having
> special support for UCS2. And FT works with individual character codes,
> not with encoded strings, ergo there is no point in having special
> support for UTF-8--it is the application's responsibility to translate
> UTF-8 or whatever strings into a sequence of "wide characters".

Unicode is NOT encoding but ucs2 and ucs4 are encodings.

And Microsoft Office XP Chinese Version and its Chinese Language Pack
have included a TrueType font with ucs2 and ucs4 encodings.  When we
use it, FT_Set_Charmap( ft_encoding_unicode ) returns ucs2 charmap not
ucs4 charmap.

font name table entries

Simsun (Founder Extended) - Version 1.00

PostScript name: FZSY--SURROGATE-0

Copyright(c) Founder Corporation.2000

By Founder Corporation. '?

character map encodings

There are 3 encodings:

encoding 0: Apple Roman
encoding 1: Windows Unicode
encoding 2: Windows Unknown value 10

> >    e. ft_encoding_ issue
> >       (perl 5.8 has more 100 encoding names.
> >        FreeType will support these names? or IANA registered names?)
>
> Would it make sense to support all this Babylonian mess of encodings?
> The list of "native" encodings is pretty short and the rest would be
> usable iff the application loaded a standalone cmap explicitly.

Oops, winfont and pcf fonts have many encodings.  And I think
ft_encoding_ is too depend to TTF specification and its definition is
too ambiguous.

So we should ft_encoding_ naming scheme is based on perl encoding
names or IANA registerd names.

---- YAMANO-UCHI, Hidetoshi