RE: [Devel] Win32 library does not work in VC++ 6.0

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [Devel] Win32 library does not work in VC++ 6.0
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:53:00 +0100

Hamish Fawns said:

<<<<<<
    I downloaded the file ft212.zip and built the library freetype211.lib
using the Visual C++ project in the builds/win32/visualc directory. I have
included this library in my project (it is being found) and I get the
following list of link errors:

I2Font.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
@address@hidden
I2Font.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @address@hidden
I2Font.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @address@hidden
I2Font.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @address@hidden
I2Font.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @address@hidden
I2Font.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @address@hidden
I2Font.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @address@hidden
I2Font.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @address@hidden
../../bin/Hail.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 8 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

I got the same problems when building FreeType as a DLL and solved them by
changing the definitions of FT_EXPORT and FT_EXPORT_DEF in ftoption.h to the
following, in order to export the API functions so that they are available
to other modules:

#define FT_EXPORT(return_type) __declspec(dllexport) return_type
#define FT_EXPORT_DEF(return_type) __declspec(dllexport) return_type

I don't guarantee this will work for an ordinary statically linked library,
but it certainly works for a DLL.

Graham Asher